Sunday January 7, 2007




When we got back home last night, a 2 CD set of The WHO show from the Atlanta show that we saw was waiting in the mail box. So I listened to that today. It rocks, man. It may have been better than I even remembered. I also have a pro-shot 5 camera, 5.1 audio DVD coming of this show. It'll be great to relive it. I can't get over the wonders of this age.

If you're interested in reading more about that WHO show than I've written in the 11/22 listing of this journal, click here for other people's opinions. See! It ain't just me. Others think it was an exceptionally good one, too.

Frank, Joe and I had planned to practice today but we bailed on it. So I spent the day clearing gig upon gig of files off of my computer (mostly bootlegs). Heck, one Beatles collection took up 20 CD's by itself!

To me, this clean-up is metaphorical. I really am trying to clear what's left of 2006 off of my plate so I can dig into 2007.




Saturday January 6, 2007

I talked to my Mom this morning. I was hoping to get together with the whole family today or tomorrow to celebrate my brother's birthday (which comes next week). She said they couldn't do it until tomorrow night. I had told her before I came home that wouldn't be possible for us.

So we said "screw it" and decided to get on back to Athens a day early.

I was feeling a bit better physically and needed to go.

On the way out of town, I dropped by my brother's to drop a few CD's / DVD's out on his porch. To my surprise he was there. So for the first time in about 3 months, we talked in person. I wish we had more time. I think it was a good talk. We're all going through some rough stuff right now.

I went by to see Grandma before getting on the interstate. She was back to normal, thank goodness. She apologized for her part of what went down yesterday and I accepted it. That doesn't mean that there was an excuse for it or that it hurts any less but I've got enough negative things to carry around these days. I'm letting this one go.

On the way through Columbia, we swung by and got a big, late lunch at Lizzard's Thicket. It hit the spot and made me feel a bit better.

Let me say that I have never felt like I was escaping from South Carolina more than today. I tried to leave all that stuff on the other side of the Savannah River.

I'll still help everyone as much as I can but I have my own things to deal with, too. It's time I started.



Friday January 5, 2007



Let me tell you.

This has been a rough couple of weeks. I was NOT up to the trip today, let alone the stress that it brought on. About halfway to SC, I really started to feel bad. After getting some lunch, it eased some but not enough to even be able to pretend that I'm okay.

We got back just in time for Grandma's meeting. She was dressed and ready to go when we got there. She was already in kind of a bad mood. When we got in there, there were seven of us. The physical therapists let me know that Grandma was doing better than almost anyone there and could go home now as far as they were concerened. The nurse said she needed to stay another week so we all decided that she could go home on the 11th.

Then Amanda and I asked a few questions. About this time, Grandma lost it. She was scared that they were going to make her stay longer because of what we were asking but we just wanted to make sure she'd be alright to be alone when she got back home!

She basically insulted everyone in the room (me included if you're keeping score) repeatedly. Honestly, I think her head's just finally clear from all the medicine and she's angry about all that's been going on. I understand that but I believe she went too far today. When the meeting was done, Amanda went back out to the car. We were all upset. I went back to the room with Grandma and told her how wrong I thought she was in the treatment she gave everyone when every single person in there was only trying to help. I let her know that she really hurt my feelings and that nothing good can come from that kind of thing. I felt bad having to say those things but I felt like I had to in this case.

I also let her know that I'd be there to do everything I can to help no matter what. I even said I'd do it whether she wanted me to or not. I mean that.

Amanda and I both went home feeling wounded. She spent time with her parents while I went down to her room and laid on the bed. I thought about all of this mess and all that's been happening for the last while. I was depressed. It's rare for me to get this way. I guess it's natural under the circumstances but it doesn't make it any less hard.

Before bedtime I called Grandma to check and see if she was alright but I got no answer. Since it went to voicemail, she had to be on the other line. To me, that meant she must be okay.

I went to bed sad and feeling pretty bad physically too.

This song often pops into my head at times like this. Tonight was no exception. Here's a little excerpt from George Harrison's All Things Must Pass.

"...Darkness only stays in the night-time
In the morning it will fade away
Daylight is good at arriving at the right time
Its not always going to be this grey

All things must pass
All things must pass away
All things must pass
All things must pass away"

Thanks, George.



Thursday January 4, 2007





I'm feeling much, MUCH better today. It's about time. I can actually move and get around. It's been a week since the big attack. I'm still a bit out of it and definitely off my game but I'm exponentially better than yesterday.

Of course, now I've got to get my strength back. At this point, it's easier said than done. I was already getting out of shape before the holidays and then this whole attack. Let's not go back to that right now 'cause I'm feeling so much better. I can move. It's been a week. I'm still a bit off but improving exponentially now...finally.

I wish I had a little more time to rest but I have to drive back to South Carolina tomorrow for a meeting regarding Grandma's health and when she gets to come home.

I don't know if I'm up to it but I have to try.




Wednesday January 3, 2007




I'm a little bit better again but not as good as Monday. I'm pretty groggy from the sedative part of the medication. Not much to say, I laid around again with the TV, which SUCKED!

Grandma's still having problems getting her medication at Springdale worked out. They just can't seem to get it right. And they're getting more and more hit or miss with serving decent food now that the holidays have passed.

We've just gotta hang in there...



Tuesday January 2, 2007

I didn't take this picture but I liked it so much that I thought I'd use it instead of digging up one of my own!







Well, I guess it had to be too good to last. I had a bit of a backslide today and a lot of the pain has returned. Maybe I just overdid yesterday so I had to take it easy again today. I was still partially functional but I let my hopes get up too much, I guess. I'm having a hard time focusing and / or getting anything done but I swear I'm trying.

I can't believe I had to take 10 friggin' prescribed pills today. Blech!

There's a little more death today but this time it's not in human form. Gasper, over at the Georgia Aquarium, had to be put down.

Farewell, Gasper! Thanks for the joy, the smiles and the gravity defying flips that you showed to me, Amanda, Nichole and Robbie!




Monday January 1, 2007





When I woke up this morning, I had a screaming message from Andy Ainsworth (former Q-Sign, Star Zero guitarist) wishing me a happy new year and letting me know that his resolution is to come up and spend some time working on some of his new songs together. That'd be cool!

I felt so much better today that it's hard to describe it. I was by no means "fine" but I could get around pretty well. Since I could, I couldn't stand staying around home. We actually went out to both lunch and dinner today and I even got Amanda a little (late) birthday present, then we had a nice relaxing evening at home.

On top of that, I got Grandma's last out of control bill in line. This was a good day and the first one in a while.

It is indeed a happy new year's day!

Click here for last week with Christmas, a bunch of dead guys and a full on collapse from yours truly.